The easiest way to describe body detox is pretty simple: it’s a total cleansing of the body and blood by eliminating harmful chemicals and toxins and gradually replenishing the nutrients that a person needs to maintain proper health, build resistance to diseases, boost the immune system, and begin the start of a healthier life. Basically, you can use this practice to give the body a healthy, fresh start, which is always worth a try.
Occasionally our bodies get overwhelmed and we require a more thorough cleansing routine using a good quality body detox kit specifically designed for this purpose. In normal circumstances, our bodies naturally do this on their own, specifically by removing impurities from the liver, where toxins are filtered, as well as from the kidneys, lungs, intestines, and skin.
Detoxification is meant to assist the body when our natural cleansing system is overwhelmed. This can be caused by improper diet, stress, overeating, illness, sedentary lifestyles, and poor health habits in general. Such things can disrupt our natural body cleansing process, which can give way to a number of different symptoms:
- Unexplained fatigue
- Irritated skins
- Low Grade Infections
- Mental Confusion
The idea is to eliminate additional exposure to toxins like heavy metals, chemicals like pollutants or food additives, radiation from computers, x-rays, and cell phones, alcohol, caffeine, and much more. All of these can build up in the tissues, leading to the above symptoms and a decreased quality of life.
Why Would You Want to try Body Detox?
“Body Detoxification works because it addresses the needs of individual cells, the smallest units of human life.”, says Peter Bennett, N.D.
The human body needs vitamins and other important nutrients to function properly. By using any of the available body detox programs or body detox plans, we are able to remove these harmful chemicals and help the body to maintain the balance necessary for all systems to work properly. And removing toxins, which also improves metabolism and behavior, is just one reason to try body detoxification – there are plenty of other reasons to go for it:
- Prevent Chronic Disease. When the body functions properly, it has the ability to better filter environmental toxins, which increase the chance of developing cancer, heart disease, strokes, and neurological conditions. Proper detoxing doesn’t protect you 100 percent, but it does bring chances of developing a chronic disease down significantly.
- Boost the Immune System. A compromised immune system leaves one more vulnerable to colds and flus, so this process can strengthen the immune system and fight off infections more effectively.
- Lose Weight. Build up of harmful chemicals affects the body's natural ability to burn fat, leading to weight gain. Diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure are directly linked to weight issues. Detoxing rids the body of toxins stored in fat cells and increases metabolism.
- Slow Premature Aging. The body is rid of free radicals and heavy metals are partly responsible for aging.
- Increase Energy. The body gains more mental, physical, and emotional energy. Sleep patterns tend to improve and people tend to need less of it.
- Improve Skin Quality. Diet and environmental toxins affect the skin. Detoxing improves acne, and strengthens hair and nails, and gives a natural, healthy glow.
- Mental and Emotional Clarity. When the body's systems are balanced, a shift also occurs with our mental and emotional states. People can deal with more when clear and grounded. They can make better decisions, analyze accurately, and see things differently.
The reasons for body detoxification are numerous enough to warrant a look, and luckily there are plenty of ways on how to detox your body in a safe and effective manner. We are lucky today to be able to find several good quality body detox kits and body detox products for home use, as well as afford a visit to a body detox spa if that is our preference!
What Are Some Popular Methods For Body Detox?
Body detox foods
Using foods to detox is one of the most popular and completely natural methods to do body detox cleanse. There is a large number of body detox recipes out there and you just have to spend a little bit of time online to find the ones that work the best for you.
- All Fruits. The basis for detoxing is to flush the unwanted chemicals and load the body with nutrients, and fruits have many vitamins and minerals that can help replenish the body. Managing the level of energy in the body, fruits also reduce the chances of illness. Specifically, citric fruits have highly powerful body detox effects (lemons, oranges, grapefruit, limes etc). You can eat them separately or combine them with other fruits and do remember not to stay on fruit-only detox diet for more than 7 days.
- Vegetables and Fruits. As with all fruits, the vegetables and fruits option should not be used for more than 7 days at a time. Containing essential vitamins, nutrients, and minerals required by our body to stay healthy, be sure to eat different combinations of produce, as this leads to the balance of your bodily systems. For example, to increase fiber try black beans, apples, soybeans, and blueberries together.
- Organic Grown Food and Meat. Organic produce is made without the use of chemical fertilizers and synthetic insecticides, which can potentially leave deadly chemicals in your system. The same can be said for animal meats that were grown without the use of hormonal growth implants.
Water and juicing for body detoxification
For centuries, people have been using the extremely effective application of liquid-only diets to help in detoxification process. Fasting, either complete (no food and no liquids), or limited (only liquids) is a quick and powerful method for body cleansing.
- Liquid Fasting. In this process, eat nothing solid and drink only liquids—fruit juice, vegetable juice, protein shakes, water, tea—for at least 2-5 days. Liquid fasting also helps weight loss by restricting calorie intake and balancing metabolism. Be sure to use fruit juices, vegetable juices, and shakes for the proper nourishment of your body without solid input.
- Increased Water Intake. Drinking more water helps the lungs flush out main toxins like blood urea nitrogen. Our basic daily requirements for water are between 2.5 and 3.5 liters, though the body may require more if really dehydrated. You can add lemon, lime juice, or orange to make it easier to drink plenty of water. The citric acid present in these fruits may also help to dilute unnecessary fat.
Use less sugar in your diet
The excess use of sugar can cause blood sugar levels high and you are the great risk of diabetes, heart diseases, or cancer in the long run. So be cautious about choosing your diet. Do not try to add sugar to your sauces, bread, and salad dressings. If you reduce your consumption of sugar, it is like you are doing a natural body detoxification by helping your body not have to fight the harmful effects of sugar!
Physical exercise for body detoxification
Active lifestyle, including vigorous exercise and exposure to fresh and clean breathing air, helps the body in its detoxification efforts. Movement aids digestive processes as well as your lungs get the exercise, get more oxygen and expel more toxins. I'm sure you are already familiar with Yoga, which in addition to general body benefits, has postures (or asanas) specifically designed for body detox. Add to this the practice of meditation and breathing exercises – and your body and immune system with get a tremendous boost.
Herbs, medicinal plants and spices
Humans have been, for thousands of years, using the herbs and plants for their medicinal properties, including powerful body detoxification and cleansing effects. Unfortunately we don't get much chance or time today to go out and gather, process and prepare the herbs like our ancestors did! That's why there are so many various body detox solutions and products on the market that we can conveniently order and use at home.
The problem is that most of the products out there are made purely from chemicals, or contain the very toxins we want to keep out of our bodies! That's why it is crucial that you do the careful research about the body detoxification solution you chose.
I've researched and tested many body detox kits and products and finally found the one I'm happy with. This particular company creates each product using only organic, vegetarian and kosher ingredients as well as pure distilled water. You can read more here about their 9 Step Body Cleanse Kit.
They also offer separate detoxification kits if you'd like to focus on a specific area of detox (e.g. heavy metal detox, harmful chemicals or complete body) . It is reassuring to know that what I'm putting in my body in order to cleanse it – is not harming me in any way!